Turnips are biennials usually grown as annuals. Although turnips are more of a staple in European kitchens, many southern gardeners like to grow them for their greens. Turnips grow best in a temperate climate but can endure light frost. Different varieties can be used to lengthen the harvesting period.
Turnip lovers prize its deliciously sweet and tender white roots. The turnips are often 4" and sometimes 6" across, handsomely blushed with os super red at the crown. Young leaves make the classic cooked 'southern greens'.
Days to Maturity: 55 days
Sun: Full Sun
Sowing Method: Direct Sow
- Loosen the soil to a 12-15 inch depth and mix in a 2- to 4-inch layer of compost.
- Start sowing as soon as the ground is workable.
- Space early types 9 inches apart, thinning seedlings to 4 inches.
- Space maincrop types 12 inches apart, thinning to 6 inches.
- Do not cover the seeds with more than 1/2 an inch of soil.
- Do not thin if growing for greens only.
- Keep the beds weed free.
- Mulch heavily and water at a rate of 1 inch per week to prevent the roots from becoming tough and bitter.
Turnip Imported Os Super Red - Seeds
- Product Code: Turnip Imported Os Super Red - Seeds
- Availability: In Stock