Aptenia cordifolia is a sun-loving perennial that produces small, bright
reddish-purple, daisy-like blooms atop thick, succulent stems.
In cooler climates, Aptenia cordifolia is grown as an annual.
Common name: Ice plant.
Bloom time: Spring and summer.
Height: 250 mm.
Difficulty level: Easy.
Planting & Care
Sunlight: Bright sunlight, but benefits from afternoon shade when planted in hot, dry climates.
Soil: Dry, well-drained soil.
Water: Water the plant deeply when the soil is completely dry, then allow the soil to dry before watering again. Should be kept on dry side as the plant rots in soggy soil.
Temprature: Night temperatures of 50 degrees.
Fertilizer: Use a regular liquid or granular fertilizer two to three times during the growing season.
- Red apple ground covers remain smaller and manageable in dryer soils, but grow aggressively and can quickly become invasive when grown in moist soil conditions.
- Space multiple plants 18 to 36 inches apart.
- This allows for ample airflow and reduces the risk of fungal diseases such as root rot.
- Aptenia cordifolia is used medicinally as an anti-inflammatory, as a dressing (poultice) and deodorant.
- The plant is also used as a love and good luck charm.
- Aptenia cordifolia is often planted in pots or as a ground cover.
Aptenia, Heartleaf Ice Plant
- Product Code: Aptenia, Heartleaf Ice Plant
- Availability: In Stock